Ever get tired of hearing us talk all the time?
Maybe you do. Maybe you don’t.
But sometimes, we get tired of talking. So, today, learn from the US EPA’s Energy Star program to understand your next energy savings opportunities.
Oh, and by the way, they’re practical and doable for the typical person:
- Turn off your lights, but not your ceiling fans. Your ceiling fan makes a huge difference in how comfortable you feel by distributing air around your home. Make yours go counterclockwise in summer to feel cooler and clockwise in the winter to feel warmer.
- Install an electric heat pump water heater. These things save a ton of energy. You could even save up to $300 in your first year of use.
- Make sure you have an energy-efficient TV. You, or someone in your family, spend a lot of time in front of the TV. So, it might as well be energy-efficient. You’re best off Googling and researching the most efficient options.
- Give your TV an energy-efficient home theatre system. Home theatre systems have become so affordable. And you might as well have an energy-efficient one, right?
- Install Energy Star light fixtures. If you must have decorative light fixtures, they might as well be energy-efficient too. Look for that Energy Star logo on them to make sure they are.
- Change your HVAC system’s filter. During periods of heavy use (several hours per day), change your filter monthly. When you use your HVAC system less frequently (a day or two per week), you can let this go for up to 2 months.
- Plug all your electronics into a power strip. Better yet, make it a smart power strip. All your electronic devices (and their charges) want to suck energy…even when not in use. So, cut off all their power at once, and make it simple to remember, by simply flipping a switch on a power strip.
- Replace your window screens with storm windows. This one’s pretty clear, right? A storm window insert will keep more air farther away from your home than a screen.
Which of these tips makes the most sense to you?
Fortunately, they’re all pretty easy and straightforward so you can implement the ones you want and start saving today.